Prepare early for the storm season by following this summer checklist to give your family and property the best chance of staying safe when severe weather hits.
Before storm season
- Trim overhanging tree branches. Do not attempt to trim trees near powerlines – if a tree is close to a powerline, call us on 13 12 53.
- Secure loose items such as outdoor furniture and umbrellas, garden debris, garden tools and outdoor toys.
- Prepare a storm kit.
- Charge laptops and mobile phones so you can check power outage information on our website.
- Register for early severe weather warning alerts at Australian Early Warning Network, or for Brisbane residents, Brisbane City Council's Early Warning Alert Service.
During a storm
- If a power interruption occurs, turn off and unplug electrical items.
- Listen to your local radio station, follow Energex on Facebook and Twitter or check the power outages page for the latest restoration updates.
- Use a torch for light if you’ve lost power and avoid using candles.
- Never use wet or damp electrical items.
After a storm
- Stay away from fallen powerlines and alert people to any danger.
- Report fallen powerlines on 13 19 62.
- Report a loss of supply on 13 62 62 or to get the latest power restoration updates.
This is not an exhaustive list of all safety matters that need to be considered. Whilst care is taken in the preparation of this material, Energex does not guarantee, to the extend permitted by law, the accuracy and completeness of information.
To the extend permitted by law, Energex will not be responsible for any loss, damage or costs incurred as a result of any errors omissions or misrepresentations in relation to the material in this document or for any possible actions ensuing from information contained above.
You require Adobe Acrobat Reader to view or print documents.
Back to top