Guaranteed Service Levels
We are committed to making sure the safe and efficient delivery of electricity to your home or business meets an agreed set of industry standards.
It's our promise to eligible customers¹ that we will meet the Guaranteed Service Levels (GSLs) set out in the Electricity Distribution Network Code effective 1 July 2015.
A copy of the Code can also be found on the Department of Water and Energy Supply website.
Processing and payment of Guaranteed Service Levels (GSLs) for our small customers is automated, as a result of the directive from the Queensland Competition Authority (QCA).
This process is reflected in the Code. To summarise, the effects of this initiative include:
- GSL payments are now automatically identified and calculated.
- Small customers have a three-month time limit to lodge their claim.
- We must process and pay eligible GSLs within one month of lodgement.
You may view answers to our frequently asked questions by visiting our FAQs webpage.
We guarantee to meet the following Guaranteed Service Levels, or you will receive a GSL payment by cheque.
Based on a particular time or time period within a day (up to a maximum time period of five hours), and unless we have contacted you the day before to reschedule, we will be on time for appointments:
- To read, test or inspect your meter.
- To inspect, alter or add to your electrical installation.
You will receive a $57 payment if we do not meet this guarantee.
As long as we have received all necessary paperwork and approvals from you or your retailer, electricity will be connected to your premises, where supply is available, by the agreed date.
If we need to construct new powerlines or infrastructure in order to connect your electricity, we will work with you to set a date for the connection to be completed.
Should we not connect within the agreed time frame, you will receive a $57 payment for each day we are late.
Hot water supply
Loss of hot water, where the problem is our responsibility, will be attended to within one business day unless otherwise agreed with you.
You will receive a $57 payment per day if we do not meet this guarantee.
If we need to interrupt your electricity supply to carry out maintenance on our network, we will provide at least four business days' notice.
We'll advise you of the expected start and finish times of the planned outage by one of the following:
- letterbox drop, letter or flyer
- newspaper or radio advertisements
If we don't meet this guarantee, we will pay residential customers $28 and eligible business customers $71¹.
For urgent work requiring action without delay - where failure to do so could result in an emergency or create a risk to the community or our staff we will use our best endeavours to advise you of the power outage.
If you need to reconnect your electricity supply and you have completed all necessary paperwork, reconnection will take place as follows (unless otherwise agreed with you):
- Customers living in Brisbane CBD and urban areas:
- We guarantee to reconnect within the same business day if you contact your retailer by midday, or the next business day if you contact your retailer after midday.
- Customers living in Bay Islands and some rural areas:
- We guarantee to reconnect within 10 business days.Should we not reconnect within the agreed time frame, you will receive a $57 payment for each day we are late.
Reliability - duration of electricity outages
We aim to restore your power after an interruption to supply within eight hours for Brisbane CBD customers and 18 hours for customers outside the Brisbane CBD.
If we are unable to do so, you will receive a $114 payment for each eligible outage.
Reliability - frequency of electricity outages
You are eligible for a Guaranteed Service Levels payment if you experience:
- Ten or more interruptions of supply over a financial year for customers in Brisbane CBD and urban areas.
- Sixteen or more interruptions of supply over a financial year for customers in rural areas.
You will be eligible to receive a $114 payment if these duration and frequency reliability guarantees are not met.
Only one claim for this guarantee can be made during a financial year.
The following interruptions of supply are excluded from these guarantees:
- interruptions of one minute or less duration
- interruptions due to generation or transmission problems (see the Electricity Distribution Network Code for full details)
- planned outages
- interruptions caused or requested by you
- interruptions due to natural disasters (Refer to the Electricity Distribution Network Code for full details)
Guaranteed Service Levels payments are automatically identified and calculated.
However, if you have not received a payment that you believe you are eligible for, please contact us on 13 12 53.
You will have three months from the date the event took place to lodge a manual claim.
If we wrongfully disconnect the electricity to your premises without your permission, or contrary to legislation or our contractual arrangements with you or your retailer.
Disconnection for non-payment at your premises must not be performed:
- Before 8am and after 3pm on a Business Day.
- On a Friday, on a weekend, on a Public Holiday or on the day before a Public Holiday.
- Between 20 December and 31 December (inclusive) in any year.
- When the premises is registered as having life support equipment.
You will receive a $142 payment for the inconvenience.
How to claim
To apply for a GSL payment, phone the Energex Contact Centre on 13 12 53.
A Customer Service Representative will take you through the process and your claim for a payment can be made over the telephone.
Alternatively, you can complete our Guaranteed Service Levels Claim Form.
How to appeal a declined GSL claim
Any GSL claim that does not meet the specified criteria as set out in the Electricity Distribution Network Code (the code) will be declined.
Should you wish to appeal this decision, please forward your request in writing and address to:
GSL Internal Review Panel
GPO Box 1461
BRISBANE Qld 4001
On receipt of your letter of appeal, the GSL Internal Review Panel will respond to your request within 20 business days.
Terms and conditions
The Guaranteed Service Levels outlined above should be interpreted in relation to the Electricity Distribution Network Code made under the Electricity Act 1994.
This information is a summary only. Any payments made under these Guaranteed Service Levels are made by us for failure to meet the nominated standards. We reserve the right to amend these service levels in accordance with any variations to the requirements of the Electricity Distribution Network Code.
We are committed to providing you with the best possible standards of service.
- GSLs apply to residential and small business customers only; that is, customers using less than 100 megawatt-hours per annum. You may refer to past electricity bills to check your electricity usage. If you are unsure, contact us on 13 12 53. Customers are able to claim $454 in total across all GSL types excluding wrongful disconnections, per electricity account in any one financial year. Payments for wrongful disconnections are not subject to a cap.