If you're replacing or purchasing a new air-conditioner, help manage peak demand by installing a PeakSmart air-conditioner. You'll be rewarded by up to $400 for choosing PeakSmart!
Rewards for energy efficient air-conditioning
When the temperature rises in Queensland, many homes and businesses switch on their air-conditioners at the same time. When this is combined with an increase in use of pool pumps and everyday appliances, it puts stress on the electricity network. We call this 'peak demand'.
We have created some innovative programs to help manage peak demand. When we save energy, it means less need to build new electricity infrastructure and, ultimately, lower power bills for you.
One way you can save energy and get real rewards for your home or business is by installing PeakSmart air-conditioning. Keep reading, instructions on how to claim are below.
Your reward will depend on the cooling capacity of your PeakSmart air-conditioner.
|Cooling Capacity||Greater than 4kW or less than 10kW|
10kW or more
What is PeakSmart air-conditioning?
PeakSmart air-conditioning helps reduce peak demand by dropping your air-conditioner into a lower performance mode when the network is under stress. We call this a PeakSmart event. You can buy a new PeakSmart air-conditioner or, in some cases, you may be able to add a signal receiver to your existing air-conditioning.
The signal receiver on your air-conditioner will get a 'message' from the network, telling it there is pressure on the network. When this occurs, your air-conditioner will operate similarly to the economy setting.
Queensland's electricity network is robust, so PeakSmart events may only occur on a few occasions per year. The technology is designed to be 'set and forget' so you won't have to do anything or notice a difference to your comfort.
Watch our short video about PeakSmart air-conditioning to learn more.
Have you ever driven down the highway and felt like you were the only person on the road, and the next day been on the same road and been stuck in bumper to bumper traffic?
Or have you ever caught a train and had the freedom to sit wherever you want? Then the next time you catch the train it feels like a sardine tin. That’s the effect of peak hour.
And just like transport, the electricity network also feels the impact of lots of people wanting to use the same thing at the same time. We call this peak demand.
For homes and businesses within South East Queensland, keeping cool on those extremely hot days and warm on those really cold ones is important, but when we all blast our air-conditioner units at the same time it has an impact on both the network and our power bills.
Building infrastructure to cater for these peak times costs millions of dollars, which means we all end up paying more for our electricity.
Energex is investing in ways for homes and businesses to reduce the pressure of peak demand, and one of the solutions is PeakSmart.
PeakSmart uses innovative technology developed by air-conditioner manufacturers, to deliver energy efficiencies in periods of high demand. Energex provides a signal receiver that’s connected to the air-conditioner unit by the installer. During days of peak demand, Energex sends a signal via the powerlines which talks to the unit for short periods of time and engages its in-built energy efficiencies to cap the unit’s energy use – just the same as if you operate it in economy mode. The technology is only activated when the electricity network reaches peak demand, only on a few hours on those few extremely hot or cold days each year. Whether you’re at home or work, it's set and forget.
Installing PeakSmart may help save on electricity infrastructure expenditure to cater for these peak times, and Energex is supporting people who make a positive choice through Positive Payback rewards.
Talk to your retailer or air-conditioner specialist today, or visit energex.com.au to find out how you can get PeakSmart and be rewarded with Positive Payback.
PeakSmart air-conditioning. It’s the simple, comfortable choice.
There are two ways to get cashback
- Install a PeakSmart air-conditioner If you're thinking of purchasing a new air-conditioner, it makes sense to buy one that's PeakSmart capable so you can get your cashback. PeakSmart air-conditioners work just like ordinary air-conditioners and most leading brands offer a range of eligible models, OR
- Convert your existing air-conditioner to PeakSmart PeakSmart air-conditioners have been around since 2011. So if you installed a new air-conditioner in the last five years, it may be an eligible model. If it is, contact your local installer so they can come to your home or business to convert it to PeakSmart Active. Some installers may do this for free, provided there aren’t any complications, and be reimbursed through the Incentives program.
Where can I purchase a PeakSmart air-conditioner?
PeakSmart air-conditioners are available at most appliance retailers and air-conditioning specialty dealers. Check our list of eligible brands and models or ask your air-conditioning expert if the unit you wish to buy is PeakSmart compatible.
What happens once I've purchased my PeakSmart air-conditioner?
Once you've purchased your PeakSmart air-conditioner you will need to get a signal receiver from your retailer or air-conditioner installer.
The signal receiver is the device that is installed on your PeakSmart air-conditioner so it can communicate with the network. During a PeakSmart event - that is, when the network is under stress due to peak demand - your air-conditioner will assist by capping energy consumption for short periods.
- Get a signal receiver pack. The appliance retailer will provide a free signal receiver pack at the time of your purchase or your air-conditioner installer may provide one at the time of installation.
- Installation. Organise installation of your air-conditioner through the appliance retailer or with a licensed installer. The installation of your signal receiver is often included in your air conditioning installation cost or for a small additional fee. Please complete the PeakSmart Air-conditioning Installation Form (PDF 1.5 mb) with your installer.
- Claim your reward! You are now ready to claim your reward (instructions below).
Claim your reward
To claim your PeakSmart air-conditioner reward, you will need the following information on hand:
- A copy of your air-conditioning receipt.
- The completed PeakSmart Air-conditioning Installation Form (PDF 1.5 mb)
- For businesses only: Tax invoice to claim your reward.
- Your bank account details (BSB and Account Number). We pay all rewards by EFT.
You are now ready to log in to Customer Self Service and apply for your reward.
Helpful hint: Don't have a scanner? Take a photo of your air-con receipt and installation form to upload with your application.
Need more information?
Read the PeakSmart Terms and Conditions here.