EV research program
In May 2020, we launched the EV SmartCharge program in support of one of the key initiatives of our EV tactical plan. The program runs provisionally for 3 years and will allow us to better understand EV charging behaviours, associated network impacts and EV owner experiences.
Understanding how different EV drivers charge their vehicles will help us to better forecast demand from EVs across the electricity network, support charging alternatives, minimise network costs and ultimately influence electricity price rises.
We've partnered with Geotab Energy, a clean tech solutions provider of connected vehicle products and services, assisting with the acceleration of EV adoption particularly in North America.
200 participants were recruited from different geographic areas in Queensland, covering both the Ergon Network and Energex distribution areas, all eager to build an optimised EV future in Queensland. 18 different EV makes and models are supported in the program
How data is collected
Participants received a 3G C2 connected device that was installed in the EV's OBD II port. The device collects data about how participants drive and how, where and when they charge their EV.
Access to portal
During the trial participants can log into a portal to access all the data associated with their vehicle, including the following:
- View trip data Kilometres driven, carbon footprint and battery state of charge by trip
- Gauge ambient temperature Gauge outside temperature during a trip or charge event
- Understand auxiliary load Find out how much energy they are using on other systems such as cooling, heating and USB charging
- Monitor battery health Understand the vehicle battery’s life, storage and power capacity over time
- Monitor charging by level See the breakdown of charging from different charger levels (Level 1 = 10/15A cable, Level 2 = dedicated wall charger, Level 3 = fast charger).
Charging information collected
The following information is collected during the trial:
- Charging session Charging session duration, rate of charge, battery state of charge, electricity delivered and location
- Trip information Trip duration, energy consumption and distance travelled.