EV SmartCharge QLD Research Program
Do you own an electric vehicle (EV) registered in Queensland and would you like to earn a minimum of $100?
We’re conducting the SmartCharge Queensland Research Program to learn more about how people drive and charge their EVs, and we’ll pay EV owners to join the program. Numbers are limited, so if you’re interested register ASAP!
Getting involved is easy
- Check your EV is eligible from the list below
- Complete the Expression of Interest form and read and agree to the terms and conditions and associated declarations
- We’ll let you know by email if you have been selected
- We’ll send you a device for self-installation that will allow us to collect data about how you drive and charge your EV
- Once you’ve installed the device, you’ll get the first reward of $100
- You’ll get another $100 if we invite you, and you agree, to participate in management of the charging of your EV later in the program.
EVs eligible for the program
If you own one of the following EVs you are eligible to join the program.
- BMW i3 (Fully electric)
- BMW i3 (Plug-in Hybrid)
- BMW X5 (Plug-in Hybrid)
- Holden Volt
- Hyundai IONIQ (Fully electric)
- Hyundai IONIQ (Plug-in Hybrid)
- Hyundai Kona (Fully electric)
- Jaguar I-Pace
- Mitsubishi i-MiEV
- Mitsubishi Outlander (Plug-in Hybrid)
- Nissan Leaf
- Renault Zoe
- Tesla Model 3
- Tesla Model S
- Tesla Model X
- Tesla Roadster
- Volvo XC60
- Volvo XC90
If you have an enquiry regarding your expression of interest at any time please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Track your own statistics
A bonus for being a part of this research program is you will have access to all the data we collect associated with your vehicle, via your own personal portal on your smartphone, tablet or computer. You can:
- Download your statistics
Keep records and share your vehicle’s statistics with friends and family
- View trip data
View your kilometres driven, carbon footprint and battery state of charge by trip
- Gauge ambient temperature
Gauge outside temperature during a trip or charge event
- Understand auxiliary load
Find out how much energy you’re using on other systems such as cooling, heating and USB charging
- Monitor battery health
Understand your battery’s life, storage and power capacity over time
- Monitor charging by level
See the breakdown of charging from different charger levels (Level 1 = 10/15A cable, Level 2 = dedicated wall charger, Level 3 = fast charger).
What information will be collected?
During the research program we’ll collect the following information via the installed device:
- Charging information - charging session duration, rate of charge, battery state of charge, electricity delivered and location.
- Trip information - trip duration, energy consumption and distance travelled.
Note, GPS charging location coordinates will be used to determine where you have charged your EV and GPS information will only be collected while you are charging your EV, not when or where you are driving.
What's in it for us?
The more we can understand and guide the way people charge their EVs, the more we can support charging alternatives and minimise network costs and ultimately electricity price rises. This will make owning and driving an EV even more attractive.
More about the program
How long does the program run for?
The program runs for three years (provisionally) and if chosen, we hope that you will continue to be involved for the duration.
Who have we partnered with?
We've partnered with FleetCarma, a division of Geotab Inc, to conduct this research over three years. Geotab Inc is an award-winning clean tech solutions provider of connected vehicle products and services which has been accelerating electric vehicle adoption.
How will participants be selected?
We’ll choose a mix of participants from different geographic areas, with different models of EVs, and a representative sample of other variables. If you're selected after you express your interest, we'll email you as soon as possible.
How is data collected?
Participants will receive a FleetCarma 3G C2 connected car device that can be easily installed in your vehicle’s OBD II port, generally found under the dashboard. The device will collect data about how you drive and how, where and when you charge your EV and securely transmits the data to the FleetCarma cloud.
The device will not track your routes between charging locations, and the data captured will only be accessible by FleetCarma and us for the purposes of this research.
You can opt out at any time. We just ask that you return your C2 device to us.
What are the rewards for participating?
We'll reward participants with:
- A $100 payment once the FleetCarma device is installed and activated
- You’ll get another $100 if we invite you, and you agree, to participate in charging management of your EV later in the program
- Access to FleetCarma’s secure web-based portal to easily track and analyse your own EV driving and charging activity. Note, your data will not be visible to other participants in the program
- The satisfaction of knowing that you’re helping build an optimised EV future in Queensland.
All payments will be made by electronic funds transfer into your nominated bank account. The initial payment will occur once the device is installed successfully and relevant data is being collected.
What will the study achieve?
The study will allow us to understand how different EV drivers charge their vehicles. This will help us to better understand and forecast demand from EVs across the electricity network.