What we charge for customer connection services is controlled by the Australian Energy Regulator (AER)1.
Customer connection services include new connections, changing an existing connection, and the ongoing connection and supply of electricity to your premises.
The AER has classified our regulated distribution services (which include customer connection services) into Standard Control Services and Alternative Control Services.
Standard control services
Standard Control Services (SCS) are core distribution services for the access and supply of electricity to customers. They include:
- Network services (e.g. construction, maintenance and repair of the network)
- Some connection services (e.g. small customer connections)
- Type 7 metering services (i.e. unmetered supply).
We recover our costs in providing SCS through network tariffs billed to electricity retailers. However, under certain circumstances, you may be required to pay a capital contribution towards a standard control service.
Alternative control services
Alternative Control Services (ACS) are customer specific and/or customer requested services.
ACS are either price capped services (fee based services) for standard types of services, or price on application (quoted services) for services with a scope not known in advance, such as:
- Some connection services (e.g. large customer connections)
- Metering services (i.e. Type 6 metering services)
- Public lighting services (e.g. provision, construction and maintenance of public lighting).
The whole cost of an ACS is paid by the customer who benefits from the connection service.
For more information on our charges for customer connection services, please view our Network tariffs webpage .
- Energex is subject to economic regulation by the Australian Energy Regulator (AER) under the National Electricity Law (the NEL) and the National Electricity Rules. Under these laws, the AER is responsible for regulating the income that we can earn and the prices that we can charge for customer connection services.