Establish a new connection
Process for new connections
Energex is the Distribution Network Service Provider for most of South-East Queensland.
Before you establish a new connection or make an alteration to an existing connection, check that Energex is the Distribution Network Service Provider for your area.
- Confirm supply is available Your electrical contractor will be able to advise you if supply is available. Should your premise not have supply available, your electrical contractor can complete an Enquiry through the Electrical Partners Portal on your behalf. Energex will conduct the necessary network investigations and provide an indicative estimate of potential costs and timeframes for you to make an informed decision within 20 Business Days.
If your electrical contractor is unable to complete this form on your behalf, you can create the Enquiry through the Customer Portal.
- Submit a Network Connection Application to Energex Before the work starts, you'll need to enter into a Network Connection Agreement with Energex. Your electrical contractor will create a Network Connection Application through the Electrical Partners Portal on your behalf. For a faster turn-around, your electrical contractor will expedite your Network Connection Application, by agreeing to the Model Terms and Conditions for Deemed Standard Connection Contracts.
If your electrical contractor is unable to complete a Network Connection Application on your behalf, you can create a Network Connection Application through the Customer Portal. Your electrical contractor will be unable to complete their Electrical Work Request until a Network Connection Application is completed.
If you or your electrical contractor choose not to expedite your application, Energex will within 10 business days advise the following: 1) whether the proposed connection is a basic or standard connection service and will provide you with a Network Connection Offer or 2) advise you of the negotiated connection process (including possible costs) if the connection service is neither standard nor basic or you have elected to negotiate the connection contract.
Where the application is incomplete, Energex will advise the applicant of the deficiency and may request resubmission of a complete application. Your connection agreement is entered into when you accept Energex's connection
- Engage an electrical contractor Your electrical contractor will prepare the premises for connection to the Energex network. When this work is complete, they will submit an Electrical Work Request (EWR) to Energex.
- Choose an electricity retailer A copy of the EWR will be sent to the retailer you choose to have your electricity account with. View a list of retailers.
- Energex completes your request Once all forms are received, Energex will visit the premises to perform the requested work.
Timeframes for new connections
Energex must adhere to timeframes for new connections. For all locations we will attend the property within 5 business days on receipt of the following:
- a valid Network Connection Agreement (CX)
- an Electrical Work Request (EWR) from your electrician
- a valid service order request (B2B) from your electricity retailer
Timeframes are dependent on network availability, access requirements, traffic control requirements or any other impacts that are outside of Energex's control.
Find our more information on network prices.
Fees and charges
Read our information sheet that outlines the fees and charges applicable to customers and developers for Connection Services.