Submit a self-meter read
We couldn't access your meter
If we can't gain access to read your meter, we'll automatically generate an estimated read for your electricity retailer. Or you can submit a self-meter read via Customer Self Service and ask your electricity retailer to adjust your bill. There's a guide on our website on how to read your meter.
If you own a dog, you can register to receive SMS and/or email alerts 24 hours before your meter is due to be read. That way, you can ensure your dog is suitably restrained when the meter reader arrives. For more information see meter-read alerts for dog owners.
To update your meter access information, please contact your electricity retailer and provide current access details.
What you can do to help us
So that we can read your meter easily and safely, we ask that you:
- keep dogs suitably restrained (see below) or away from the meter
- tell us about any special access to your land or our equipment
- update your account/premises details with your electricity retailer
- provide safe and clear access to our equipment (Energex locks are available).
What “suitably restrained dog” means
To confirm your dog is suitably restrained, we must be able to physically sight your dog and confirm it is:
- placed securely inside the house behind a closed door or other suitable building (e.g. shed); or
- placed securely in a yard or area completely separated from the meter (i.e. locked behind a fence); or
- isolated by either a substantial rope or chain secured to an appropriate anchor point on the ground or to a fixed fitting to ensure our safe access to the meter. (If you chain your dog please remember you're responsible for ensuring they have appropriate water, shade, and food).
Please note it’s not adequate to offer to hold a dog by hand i.e. via a collar, holding part of the dog’s body, or having the dog in your arms. We'll consider the premises unsafe to enter if you offer to do this. For safety reasons, our field staff are NOT permitted to enter unless the dog is securely isolated.
For more information please go to safe entry to your premises.
Your next scheduled meter reading
Each day, we read more than 40,000 meters at 25,000 homes and businesses across South East Queensland and must take into account weather and other conditions. Once a meter is read, we determine the date that the next read should occur.
To ensure a successful read at each property, there is a five-day window around this scheduled date during which the read may occur.
In over 97 per cent of cases, your reading will be completed in the first three days of this period.