Your insurance company

It's important to remember, your home and contents insurance policy may cover electrical-related damage (which can include storm events) to your property or appliances. In this case, you should direct your claim to your insurance company in the first instance.

Your insurance company may require you to provide information from us confirming the nature and cause of the power outage. You can obtain a confirmation letter by calling us on 13 12 53, advising that you require a network outage information request to be processed for your premises. Alternatively you can submit a Network outage information request form.