Customers on life support
We understand some of our customers have special health requirements which are reliant on power supply. This is why we've established the prioritycare Program.
The program is designed to help our life support customers to prepare for power outages and provides a dedicated telephone service to enquire about power outages or the quality of power supply.
Am I eligible?
If you or a member of your household rely on any of the equipment below, you are a life support customer eligible for the prioritycare Program:
- an oxygen concentrator
- an intermittent peritoneal dialysis machine
- a kidney dialysis machine
- a chronic positive airways pressure respirator
- crigler najjar syndrome phototherapy equipment
- a ventilator for life support
- any other equipment that a registered medical practitioner certifies as required for life support.
How do I register?
We will send you a letter and fact sheet outlining important information, including the prioritycare telephone number and what steps you need to take to complete your registration.
You will be required to provide a copy of your medical certificate to complete your registration, or you may download a Medical Practitioner Notification of Life Support Equipment Requirements form (PDF 123.2 kb) for your doctor to complete and return to us.
We always urge people with medical conditions to have backup plans in place, should unexpected outages occur. Use this checklist to make sure you are prepared.
- Contact your doctor, hospital or life support equipment supplier to discuss appropriate options such as additional oxygen bottles.
- Have access to a telephone that doesn't require power to operate.
- Keep emergency numbers handy such as your local doctor, hospitals, triple zero (000), family and friends, and the prioritycare number.
- Place a torch, with spare batteries, close to the life support equipment in case the power fails.
- Use a battery operated radio to keep up-to-date with restoration efforts during storms or other severe weather.
- If possible, organise with friends or family to use their power supply (if they aren't affected). Go directly to the nearest hospital or call triple zero (000) if you feel your health is at risk.
Keeping your details up-to-date
If you or someone in your home relies on life support equipment, it is essential that you keep us and your electricity retailer informed of any changes at your premises, including if you no longer need or wish to be registered on the prioritycare Program.
Your electricity retailer holds important information, and will keep us informed of any changes so it is important that you also contact your electricity retailer for:
- changes to your contact details, including telephone number and postal address;
- electricity rebates; and
- matters involving your electricity account.
For further information regarding our prioritycare Program for life support customers, please call us on 13 12 53.