Safety Heroes primary school education program
What's new in 2017
This year we're running two fantastic competitions with a prize pool of $5,500 up for grabs. Don't miss out! Encourage your students to enter for a chance to WIN prizes for themselves, their class and their school.
It's easy to get involved
How to register
- Register your school by emailing your name, school and postal address to EnergexESW@primary-pr.com by Friday, 18 August 2017 so your pack can be delivered in time.
- Follow our Facebook Event – we'll be sharing all the Electricity Safety Week activities across the state.
- Enter our competitions for a chance to WIN great prizes.
- Encourage your school community to get involved in Electricity Safety Week!
Electricity Safety Week – Prep to Year 6
To view the resources and download a copy ahead of Electricity Safety Week:
- Activity booklet (PDF 3.8 mb) – electricity safety activities for P-6 students
- Electricity safety poster (PDF 957.5 kb) – to place around the school and classrooms
- Merit certificate (PDF 510.4 kb) – your principal can sign it and distribute to your students
- Safety fact sheets – important tips for students to take home with them
Electricity and Safety Unit – Year 6
We are also offering a free Electricity and Safety Unit for Year 6 classes. The free resources are designed to help teachers meet the Science Australian Curriculum for Year 6 and contain embedded interactive class activities, videos and teacher's notes.
The resources include a lesson book and four complementary interactive whiteboard lessons that engage students in learning about electricity and how to be safe around it.
To view the Year 6 resources and download a copy:
- Safety Lesson book for Year 6 (PDF 840.5 kb)
- Interactive whiteboard lessons for Year 6
- Interactive whiteboard lesson 1
- What is electricity
- Electricity generation and transmission
- Transportation of electricity
- Simple electric circuits
- Interactive whiteboard lesson 2
- Electricity safety
- Interactive whiteboard lesson 3
- Conductors and insulators
- Series and parallel circuits
- Electricity energy investigation
- Design task
- Electrical consumption
- Interactive whiteboard lesson 4 (optional)
- What is energy?
- Transforming energy.
- Interactive whiteboard lesson 1
For students in Prep to Yr 2 *
Create a drawing of a favourite Safety Hero character being safe using a pencil, crayon, paint or digital.
Students could win one of three $100 Family movie passes* and your class could win one of three $100 credit cards* to be used for a class outing /
activity at your discretion.
For students in Yr 3 to Yr 6 *
Suggest a name for one, or all three of the Safety Hero characters, along with a short story (50 – 100 words) about the character and why the name was chosen.
Students could win one of three iPad Mini* with a RRP $579 (128GB), your class could win one of three $250 credit cards* to be used for a class outing/activity at your discretion and your school could win one of three $750 credit cards* for resources for school library or other ‘all of school’ project.
Entries close for both competitions at 5pm on Friday 4 August 2017 and the consent form will be part of the entry and must be completed for each entry. Winners will be announced on Monday 14 August 2017.
Complete your entry
Ensure the following information is included:
- Student’s name
- Teacher’s name
- School name
- School contact phone number
- School contact email address
Ensure the student consent form is completed and signed by the student’s parent. Scan the entry and the signed consent form and email to the Safety Heroes team or send the entry and signed consent form to:
Safety Heroes team
PO Box 358
CAIRNS QLD 4870
TERMS AND CONDITIONS *
SPREAD THE WORD
Help promote the competition with your colleagues, friends and family, download our competition flyer today!
More fun stuff
To help you discover how to stay safe around electricity, we've created some fun Safety Hero activities that you can do by yourself, play with your friends, or do with a little help from Mum and Dad.