Safety at home
Electricity is part of our lives. We use it from the moment we wake up (switch on lights or boil the kettle), through the day (radio, TV, computer or vacuum cleaner) and while we sleep (alarms, electric blankets).
As a result, we can sometimes forget how powerful and dangerous electricity can be. So it's important to remember to 'Take care, stay line aware' at all times.
Please take some time to read the Electricity Safety Guide (PDF 8.7 mb). It's a useful resource which explains some of the simple things you can do to make using electricity in your home as safe as possible.
REMEMBER: Never do your own electrical work. It's not only illegal, it's potentially fatal. Always use a licensed electrician.
- Never touch a cord, power point or appliance that has caused a shock. Prevent anyone from using it and have it checked and repaired by a licensed electrical contractor
- If you experience tingles or shocks from an electrical appliance or water taps, call us immediately on 13 19 62, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Call your licensed electrical contractor to check your wiring immediately
Never touch or attempt to rescue someone who is receiving an electric shock - you may end up receiving a shock yourself. If possible turn off the power. Stay well clear and call Triple Zero (000).
Shocks and tingles
If you touch something that gives you an electric shock or a tingle, the next thing you touch should be your phone - call us immediately on 13 19 62.