Shocks and tingles

If you touch something that gives you an electric shock or tingle, the next thing you touch should be your phone. Call us on 13 19 62 to report it, immediately. We're available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Feeling an electric shock or tingle when you touch an object in or around your property is a sign that something’s wrong. To keep you and your family safe, report shocks and tingles immediately and we’ll send a crew to investigate the problem and make sure the area is safe.

What are shocks and tingles?

Electric shocks happen when an electric current passes from an electrified object into your body. You might feel a zap or painful force run through you. A tingle is a low-level electric shock. Tingles usually feel like pins and needles in the spot you are making contact with the electrified object.

You should notice the difference between an electric shock and the shock you get from static electricity. If you’re not sure, call us immediately as an electric shock or tingle can cause serious injuries and death.

Common sources of shocks and tingles

You can get a shock or tingle from any electrified object in or around your property. However, there are some ‘usual suspects’ to look out for:

  • Power points and light switches
  • Metal taps and plumbing
  • Showers
  • Metal outdoor structures like sheds, roofing, gutters and pool ladders
  • Appliances

What to do if you get a shock or tingle

Call Energex immediately on 13 19 62

If you get a shock or tingle, the next thing you touch should be your phone. Report it to us immediately on 13 19 62 and we’ll send a crew to find the cause and make the area safe. Don’t wait to make a report, we're here 24/7. Please ensure you secure any dogs so that it’s safe for our crew to enter.

Stay well clear

Stay away from the electrified object and warn others to keep clear of the area. Do not touch the object again to ‘double check’ it. It's important that you do not touch your meter box, switchboard, any appliances or metal fixtures such as taps until we have attended the property to make it safe.

It's also worth seeking medical advice if you've had a shock to make sure there's no injury to the affected person.

IMPORTANT: Don’t touch or attempt to rescue someone who is being shocked - you could end up receiving a shock yourself. Stay well clear and call Triple Zero (000).

Meet the Energex crew on arrival

You will need to be at the property when our crew arrives to ensure safe access, tell them the location of the shock and your switchboard. They will inspect the area to determine the cause and whether it’s an electricity network or private property issue.

Fixing the cause

To ensure safety to the property occupants and those involved in the repair, the electricity to the property may be disconnected until it is safe to reconnect.

Electricity network issue

If the cause is determined to be an issue with the electricity network, our crew will repair the network issue and restore your power, free of charge.

Private property issue

If the crew finds that the wiring issue was within your property, they’ll ask you to contact a licensed electrical contractor to fix the issue, as soon as possible. In this case, it is the responsibility of the property owner or if you are renting, your landlord to take the appropriate actions to fix the issue.

Safe to reconnect power

We know it can be inconvenient to be without power until the issue is resolved, but it’s essential that the property is safe before any reconnection takes place.

Once the repairs have been undertaken and it is safe to do so, the power to the property will be reconnected by us.

Watch our TV advertisement


If you touch something that gives you an electric shock or tingle, the next thing you touch should be your phone.

Call Energex on 13 19 62 immediately.