Property poles

ENERGEX worker in cherry picker working on power poleDo you have power poles on your property?

A property pole is a pole within your property's boundary that supports the overhead powerlines to your home or other buildings on your property.

These poles are usually made of timber, concrete or steel, and were initially installed on behalf of the home or property owner.

Who owns property poles and who is responsible?

Property poles can exist on both residential and business properties.

Property poles and the powerlines between these poles and buildings are generally owned by the home or property owner.

Ongoing maintenance and repairs are the responsibility of the home or property owner.

Poles owned by Energex can be identified by an Energex pole number, generally located two to three metres above the ground on the side of the poles.

Maintaining your property poles

For safety reasons and to help ensure reliability of electricity supply, it is important to regularly check and maintain property poles.

This is generally the responsibility of the property owner.

Over time, the base of the pole can deteriorate through decay, termite damage or rust.

If this occurs, the pole may weaken, lean or fall over, and potentially cause injury to people or damage to surrounding property.

A fallen pole may also bring down the powerline supplying electricity to your home.

This is not only dangerous, as fallen powerlines can kill, but will also interrupt the electricity supply to your home until the pole can be replaced by your contractor.

How to check, what to look for and what to do?

  • Regularly inspect around the base of the pole to make sure there is no decay, sign of termites, rust or other damage.
  • If your pole has a cross arm (a structure attached near the top of the pole that supports the powerline), look at it from the ground and check that it appears to be in good condition.
  • If you suspect the pole has rust or decay at its base, or are concerned about the cross arm or the general condition and/or safety of the pole, contact an electrical contractor and have them check the pole and repair it if necessary.

    Do not rely on your judgement as to the safety of the pole.
  • In addition to the above, have the pole inspected by an electrical contractor at least every five years.

    Contact your local licensed electrical contractor, or search the Yellow Pages under 'Poles–Lighting & Power'.

    You can contact the contractor of your choice. All arrangements are then between you and the contractor.

Do you rent a property with a property pole?

It is important you read the Property Poles information brochure and notify the property owner or your rental agent immediately if you think a property pole or powerline on the property you are renting requires maintenance or repair.

If the property owner or your rental agent does not take prompt action to ensure the pole or powerline is restored to a serviceable condition, please call our Contact Centre on 13 12 53, Monday to Friday 8am to 5.30pm.

You require Adobe Acrobat Reader to view or print documents.

Back to top

Related content

What's happening in my area?

Have your say

Do you have off-peak tariffs at your home?