Winter safety tips

Toaster and toast

As the winter season quickly approaches it's important to take extra precautions and be vigilant with fire safety.

Any electrical wiring, switches or appliances in your home that are not properly maintained are potential killers.

Hundreds of Queenslanders have been hurt or seriously injured in their homes by unsafe electrical items.

A bit of electrical maintenance prior to winter makes a big difference:

  • Check appliances for damage before use. If any damage is visible throw the item away or have it inspected by a licensed electrical contractor. Never do your own electrical repairs.
  • Ensure electric blankets have been stored safely. If they have been folded tightly or stored under heavy object wires may have been damaged.
  • Turn electric blankets off at the power point before getting into bed.
  • Turn off heaters before leaving the room or sleeping.
  • Keep heaters away from combustible materials such as curtains, clothes and bedding.
  • Never leave children unsupervised around heaters.
  • Never use heaters in wet areas such as bathrooms.

Don't do it yourself

You or a family member could be seriously injured or killed if you undertake specialist tasks, such as:

  • replacing or rewiring a plug, switch or power point
  • repairing electrical appliances (e.g., irons, toasters, washing machines, etc.)
  • installing or altering fixed electrical wiring
  • Don't do it yourself. It is important to engage a licensed electrician when performing any electrical works, except for these simple jobs, which you can do yourself:
  • changing an electric light bulb
  • changing the starter in a fluorescent light fitting
  • replacing a fuse
  • resetting a circuit breaker or safety switch

When doing any of the above work, be careful.

Ensure the electricity is turned off (except when resetting a circuit breaker or safety switch where power needs to remain on) and take due care.

Electric shocks and tingles

Call our emergency line on 13 19 62 if someone experiences a tingle from an electricity source.

Call Triple Zero (000) if someone suffers an electric shock. The operator will report it to Energex.

If a shock or tingle occurs, do not touch electrical equipment, appliances or metal fixtures.

An Energex representative will attend as a priority.

Contact us

Phone:

13 12 53

Disclaimer

This is not an exhaustive list of all safety matters that need to be considered. Whilst care is taken in the preparation of this material, Energex does not guarantee, to the extend permitted by law, the accuracy and completeness of information.

To the extend permitted by law, Energex will not be responsible for any loss, damage or costs incurred as a result of any errors omissions or misrepresentations in relation to the material in this document or for any possible actions ensuing from information contained above.

You require Adobe Acrobat Reader to view or print documents.

Back to top

Related content

What's happening in my area?

Have your say

Do you have off-peak tariffs at your home?