Our Community Fund
Are you seeking financial support for a great idea for your community?
Our grants program is a little helping hand to those in need, to get a great community project or initiative over the line.
We’re looking for new ideas that are innovative, encourage community identity and wellbeing or showcase solutions to problems we face as a society, whether it is through support for education, diversity and inclusion, renewable energy projects , energy and environmental conservation, electrical safety or by providing essential equipment and upgrading facilities.
We are committed to supporting not-for-profit organisations and groups who are working hard to provide lasting benefits to our local communities. It’s all about supporting organisations that, like us, work to make their communities a better place to live.
How do I get involved?
Applications closed on 26 March 2018. Keep checking this webpage for updates.
What types of projects are suitable?
Projects must be completed within 12 months of receiving a grant from us. Eligible projects include those that:
- Facilitate innovative solutions to local issues
- Stimulate local economic activity
- Support a community’s identity and wellbeing
- Strive to improve diversity and inclusion by providing support through safe spaces or educational programs
- Provide lasting benefits to the local community such as educating kids about sustainability, providing emergency equipment or upgrading facilities
- Prepare the community for Queensland’s storm season by producing storm kits
- Upgrade equipment to more energy efficient models
- Use, inform or promote renewable energy alternatives in the community
- Improve community safety by performing wiring safety checks or upgrading switchboards
If your idea provides some other kind of community benefit than those listed above and you think we should hear about it, you can still apply. All projects will be considered.
What types of projects are NOT suitable?
- Projects outside Queensland
- Projects that benefit individuals only or where the sole benefit is a commercial outcome for an individual or organisation
- Fundraising activities
- Major infrastructure construction projects
- Projects which are the core business of local council, State or Federal Government or government owned corporations
- Commercial research and development projects
- Projects that will require ongoing financial support from us after completion
- Projects that have already been completed
Looking for ideas?
We’d like to see new ideas and innovations but all ideas can be big, even those that seem simple or small. As long as your idea provides lasting benefits to your community, we want to hear about it.
See what our past recipients have used their grant to achieve in the local community.
We receive a large number of applications from organisations and groups all doing wonderful things in the community, so think outside the box about how you can give your application a competitive edge.
For full details, more ideas and inspiration download the Energex-Ergon Community Fund brochure (PDF 4.6 mb)
What are applications judged on?
We know it’s tempting to race into filling out your application, but before you do, please read the Terms and Conditions and run through the criteria list below to make sure your project ticks all the right boxes.
These are the essential criteria that your application needs to meet:
- Provide a clear description of how it will benefit the community
- Tell us why it makes sense for us to partner in your project
- Demonstrate that you have sufficient expertise and resources to successfully implement the project
- Engage the local community
- Detail tangible and measureable outcomes – number of attendees or a reduction in electricity usage for example
- Project scope and budget showing value for money.
Non-essential but ideal:
- Be innovative in nature or improve community wellbeing
- Have an ongoing benefit beyond the implementation of the initial project
- Have true potential to raise community awareness of the project and its aim
- Provide opportunities to promote our involvement
- Obtain professional quotes.
When are successful recipients announced?
Firstly, applications will be assessed for eligibility. A panel of experts in the fields of innovation, education, environment, safety and community engagement will then review shortlisted applicants.
All applicants were emailed by 31 May 2018 to advise if their application was approved. If successful, the email from us contained details of the grant amount. This is a one off payment and it might not be the full amount you applied for.
If successful, you’ll need to sign a Funding Agreement and submit your tax invoice and insurance certificate of currency within two weeks for the grant to be paid. You can expect to receive your funds by end of June 2018.
Have further enquiries?
If you have any queries relating to the Community Fund, please contact us at email@example.com and a member of the team will be happy to assist by return email or phone call.