Our Community Fund
Are you seeking financial support for a project in your community? Our grants program is a helping hand to those in need, to get a great community project or initiative over the line.
Congratulations to our 2019 recipients and first People's Choice winner!
This year Queensland viewed and voted for their favourite projects as part of the People's Choice ballot. Recording the most votes, Sunshine Coast's Salty Souls Legacy earned the title of People's Choice and importantly, an additional $5,000 to help bring their ideas to life!
Thanks to the 12,000 Queenslanders who cast their vote to make a better a Queensland.
We look for ideas that encourage community identity and wellbeing, support local prosperity, and are innovative or enable access to future solutions. Your project might support disaster restoration and resilience, diversity and inclusion, education, energy and environmental conservation, electrical safety or renewable energy projects, or provide essential equipment or facilities to the local community.
We are committed to supporting not-for-profit organisations and groups who are working hard to provide lasting benefits to our local communities. It’s all about supporting organisations that, like us, work to make their communities a better place to live.
How do I get involved?
Applications for the 2019 Community Fund closed in April and all applicants have been notified of the outcome of their submission by email.
If you'd like to be notified when next year's round kicks off, email the team at email@example.com.
Need more info?
Want more information about the types of projects we look for and how you can stand out, or the assessment process and timeline? Check out our Ergon-Energex Community Fund brochure or check out our helpful hints below.
And don't forget to double check our Terms and Conditions.
What types of projects are suitable?
Projects must be completed within 12 months of receiving a grant from us. Eligible projects include those that:
- Facilitate innovative solutions to local issues
- Stimulate local economic activity
- Support a community’s identity and wellbeing
- Strive to improve diversity and inclusion by providing support through safe spaces or educational programs
- Provide lasting benefits to the local community such as educating kids about sustainability, providing emergency equipment or upgrading facilities
- Prepare the community for Queensland’s storm season by producing storm kits
- Upgrade equipment to more energy efficient models
- Use, inform or promote renewable energy alternatives in the community
- Improve community safety by performing wiring safety checks or upgrading switchboards
If your idea provides some other kind of community benefit than those listed above and you think we should hear about it, you can still apply. All projects will be considered.
What types of projects are not suitable?
- Projects outside Queensland
- Projects that benefit individuals only or where the sole benefit is a commercial outcome for an individual or organisation
- Fundraising activities
- Major infrastructure construction projects
- Projects which are the core business of local council, State or Federal Government or government owned corporations
- Commercial research and development projects
- Projects that will require ongoing financial support from us after completion
- Projects that have already been completed
Looking for ideas?
We’d love to see new and exciting ideas with wide-scale impact. We want projects that will genuinely provide a positive and long-lasting benefit, and put our communities on the front foot for the future - but all ideas can be big, even those that seem simple or small. As long as your idea provides lasting benefits to your community, we want to hear about it.
See what our past recipients have used their grant to achieve in the local community.
Let your passion shine through! We receive a large number of applications from organisations and groups all doing wonderful things in the community, so think outside the box about how you can give your application a competitive edge.
What are applications judged on?
We know it’s tempting to race into filling out your application, but before you do, please run through the criteria list below to make sure your project ticks all the right boxes.
These are the essential criteria that your application needs to meet:
- Provide a clear description of how it will benefit the community
- Tell us why it makes sense for us to partner in your project
- Demonstrate that you have sufficient expertise and resources to successfully implement the project
- A level of engagement with the local community
- Detail tangible and measureable outcomes – number of attendees or a reduction in electricity usage for example
- Project scope and budget showing value for money
- Provide a great photo and reason why people should vote for your organisation or idea to receive the bonus $5,000 in funding.
Non-essential but ideal:
- Be innovative in nature or improve community wellbeing
- Have an ongoing benefit beyond the implementation of the initial project
- Have true potential to raise community awareness of the project and its aim
- Provide opportunities to promote our involvement
- Obtain professional quotes.
When are successful recipients announced?
Firstly, applications will be assessed for eligibility. A panel of experts in the fields of innovation, education, environment, safety and community engagement will then review shortlisted applicants.
All applicants will be notified via email by end of May 2019 to advise the outcome of their application.
If successful, the email from us will contain details of the grant amount. This is a one-off payment and it might not be the full amount you applied for. You'll need to sign a Funding Agreement and submit your tax invoice and insurance certificate within two weeks for the grant to be paid.
When will the people's choice vote take place?
All successful recipients will have their project profiled here on our website for the community to vote for their favourite. Voting will open for two weeks so watch this space to have your say!
If you're lucky enough to be selected as the people's choice recipient, we'll arrange a separate contract with you that will let you do even more for your community.
When will I receive the funds?
All recipients can expect to receive funds by end of June, 2019.
Have further enquiries?
If you have any queries relating to the Community Fund, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and a member of the team will be happy to assist by return email or phone call.