Our Complaints and Dispute Resolution Procedure¹ explains how we will manage complaints and disputes. It includes what information we require from you, when you can expect to hear from us, and what options you have if you feel your complaint or dispute has not been handled effectively.
Who does the procedure apply to?
The procedure applies to you if you are a small customer and draw your electricity supply directly from our network. A small customer is someone who purchases energy mainly for personal or household purposes, or a business who consumes less than 100 megawatt hours of electricity each year.
The procedure can also apply to contractors or suppliers providing goods or services to, or on behalf of us.
What is a complaint?
A complaint or dispute is an expression of your dissatisfaction in relation to our actions, products, services, staff or the complaints handling process itself, where you would like a response or resolution.
It does not include general enquiries or requests for our action, such as:
A complaint or dispute may include:
- Claims for loss or damage
- Failure to meet our Guaranteed Service Levels
- Reimbursements of electrical contractor fees due to our equipment failure.
How to make a complaint or dispute
- Complete our online form
- Email us at email@example.com
- Call us on 13 12 53 (Monday to Friday, 7am - 5:30pm)
- In writing to:
GPO Box 1461
Brisbane QLD 4001
Our commitment to customers
As part of our commitment to you, we:
- Recognise your right to raise concerns about electricity supply or any of our products or services
- Will attempt to resolve any issues you may have in an effective, respectful and professional manner
- Will take your feedback into consideration to continually improve how we handle complaints or disputes.
When you have a complaint, we will:
- Respond quickly and aim to resolve the complaint when it is first raised
- Keep you informed of the progress of your complaint when it is first raised
- Let you know you have the right to take complaints to more senior staff in our business, to the Energy and Water Ombudsman Queensland or other appropriate organisations
- Keep reviewing how we handle complaints to make sure our processes and procedures are effective.
Complaints handing process
When you can expect to be contacted?
We strive to provide a resolution to a customer complaint at the first point of contact. Should a resolution at the first point of contact not be possible, we have a target to:
- Acknowledge all complaints within two business days
- Resolve a complaint within ten business days of initial contact.
Where complaints cannot or have not been resolved within ten business days, an extended resolution date will be negotiated with you. If a site visit is required, we will organise this with you for a time that is convenient.
What information is needed to resolve your complaint?
Please provide a telephone number when lodging a complaint as we may need more information to assist with our investigation. Also, please indicate the response or resolution you are seeking.
What if you're not satisfied with our response?
If you're not satisfied with our response, you have the right to request your complaint or dispute be reviewed by our Distribution Customer Advocacy Team via email at DistributionCustomerAdvocacy@energyq.com.au
Escalating a dispute to the Energy and Water Ombudsman Queensland
The Energy and Water Ombudsman provides an independent and free dispute resolution service for residential and small business energy customers across Queensland when they've been unable to resolve their concerns directly with their energy supplier.
The Ombudsman expects that you have first tried to resolve the complaint with us, prior to raising the matter with them. See the Energy and Water Ombudsman Queensland complaint resolution flowchart.
How can I get special assistance with an interpreter or a TTY service?
We offer a language interpreter assistance service for customers from diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds and a TTY (teletypewriter) service for hearing impaired customers.
National relay service
If you're deaf or have a hearing or speech impairment, you can contact us through the National Relay Service (NRS). To make a relay call through the NRS all you need to do is:
- Contact the NRS via the details on the NRS call numbers webpage
- Give the Energex number you want to call.
For more information, visit the NRS website.
Translating and interpreting service
If you need translating or interpreting services you can phone 13 14 50 and request the Energex phone number you wish to contact, or make a general enquiry on 13 12 53 from Monday to Friday, 7:00am to 5:30pm.
Can someone else make a complaint on your behalf?
Yes. However, you will need to give written confirmation that you have authorised another person to pursue the complaint so we can be confident that we are not breaching your privacy when we discuss your complaint with them.
The collection and handling of your personal information during the complaints will be done so in accordance with the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth). Please refer to our Privacy Statement webpage.
Where can I find more information?
You can find more information in Energy Queensland’s Complaints Management Policy. Energex, as part of the Energy Queensland Group, acknowledges that effective complaints handling is fundamental to the provision of a quality service. We're committed to providing a complaint handling system whereby complaints are dealt with in an equitable, objective and unbiased manner.
As owners and operators of the electricity distribution network in South East Queensland, we are proud and passionate about our responsibilities of meeting your needs for a safe and reliable electricity supply. To show our commitment we have developed the Energex Customer Charter.
- Our Standard Complaint and Dispute Resolution Procedure is for your information and is not a contract. This Procedure is consistent with the Australian/New Zealand Standard AS/NZS 10002:2014 (Guidelines for complaint management in organizations) and will be regularly reviewed and updated as required.